Position Description – Responsibilities and Requirements:
The Tennessee Innocence Project investigates and litigates claims of actual innocence on behalf of the incarcerated in Tennessee.
The Tennessee Innocence Project seeks an experienced Director of Development who is creative and goal oriented, with a background in grants and major gifts. This individual will possess a wide variety of skills and be comfortable taking a hands-on approach to all areas of development. The DD is strategic thinker advancing advocacy for the wrongfully convicted by leading the resource development of this growing non-profit law firm. This professional works closely with the Executive Director and the Operations Coordinator. The DD will advance the work of the Tennessee Innocence Project and its goals by creating and executing a comprehensive development plan. The Tennessee Innocence Project is a relatively young organization, and the DD will have the opportunity to create and shape its development platform from the ground up.
They will develop an overall strategy in conjunction with leadership, oversee donor stewardship including outreach and recognition, and execute annual events and campaigns in support of the mission.
The Director of Development will be knowledgeable of philanthropy, successful in proposal development and reporting, effective in solicitation at all levels, capable in implementing a systems approach including moves management, personable in major donor and trustee relations, and driven to expand the support needed for the mission of the Tennessee Innocence Project.
- Develop and implement an annual fundraising plan
- Oversee the development budget and all aspects of fundraising
- Implement systems for development data and processes
- Maintain a calendar of all solicitations (grant and individual) and reporting deadlines • Procure grants through public and private entities
- Oversee grants management
- Manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors
- Report to Executive Director and work with Board Committee
- Work with staff on brand building and message effectiveness
- In conjunction with the ED and Board Committee, plan and execute annual events for donors and diverse stakeholders
- Engage key constituents in the support of TIP – law firms, individuals, businesses, and grantmakers
- Personally engage in major gift solicitation and create opportunities and follow up for the Executive Director
- Deep commitment to TIP’s vision and mission, embracing the focus on rights and social justice
- Proven ability to create and build infrastructure to leverage fundraising success • Minimum of 5 years of development experience, with a broad knowledge of the various aspects of philanthropy
- Ability to build infrastructure for a small shop
- Success in achieving measured goals
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Track record of innovation and strategic work
- Demonstrated ability to be self-sufficient and to work in teams
- Knowledge of donor management software
- Knowledge of social media platforms and use of such platforms to drive revenue • Ability to actively listen to all constituents, with a special focus on donor needs and how to identify mutual benefits
- Ability to communicate excellently and compel audiences through oral and written presentations.
Job Status: Full-Time
Salary and Benefits: This position offers a salary range between $65,000 and $85,000 depending on experience, paid time off, an additional monthly stipend for health care, and a flexible work environment.
Location: The position is based in TIP’s Nashville, Tennessee office, but as a statewide organization, the DD will work across the state.
Please attach your resume to a brief cover letter and direct to Jessica Van Dyke, email@example.com with the subject “Director of Development application.” Please include three references in your resume or cover letter and highlight any experiences that might fit with our organization.