The Innocence Project of Florida, Inc. (IPF) is seeking a Finance and Human Resources
Manager with a demonstrated passion for social justice issues, beginning as early as
March 2020 in its Tallahassee, Florida office. The Finance and Human Resources
Manager will be a full-time position and will report directly to the Executive Director.
The Innocence Project of Florida is a 501(c)(3) non-profit legal defense organization
dedicated to representing Florida prison inmates who can prove their innocence through
the use of DNA testing and other newly discovered evidence. IPF is the premier criminal
justice organization in Florida and has helped secure the release of numerous individuals
who collectively spent over 460 years in prison for crimes they didn’t commit.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
MANAGING ORGANIZATIONAL BUDGETING, ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE
• Work with IPF’s Executive Director to develop IPF’s annual budget;
• Manage IPF’s budget, using an approved electronic software, by timely
reconciling all accounts each month, timely depositing received checks into
appropriate bank accounts, and providing quarterly budget reports and projections
to the Executive Director;
• Develop monthly and quarterly bill-paying calendar, to ensure timely payment of
all vendor bills;
• Generate checks for payment to litigation-related and other vendors, upon
approved requests from employees;
• Maintain IPF’s payroll system, including management of the employee leave
program, the timely payment of bi-weekly paychecks, timely distribution of
employee W-2s and vendor 1099s, and timely payment of all payroll taxes;
• Facilitate the quarterly and annual closing of IPFs books with an approved
accountant, and ensure that the timely completion and filing of IPF’s taxes and
any other government-required submissions;
• Oversee, in consultation with the Executive Director, the payment of funds to
exonerees from IPF’s Exoneree Support Fund; and
• Manage certain government and private foundation grants, including required
applications and reporting to grantors, as assigned.
FACILITATING ORGANIZATIONAL HUMAN RESOURCES ACTIVITIES:
• Facilitate on- and off-boarding of employees, including procurement and renewal
• Maintain organization liability and worker compensation insurance;
OVERSEEING CERTAIN OTHER MISCELLANEOUS ACTIVITIES:
• Coordinate all maintenance and improvements to IPF’s office space to be
performed by outside vendors, including technological support.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• All candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree, with office management, finance
and human resources experience a plus;
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
Outlook Mail and Calendar), and Intuit Quickbooks or Quicken;
• Prior experience in a non-profit and/or criminal justice setting preferred, but not
The selected candidate must be:
• Possess superior organizational, oral communication and writing skills;
• The ideal candidate is self-motivated and must be a team-player willing to work
in a collaborative, small-office environment; and
• Candidates must have a strong, demonstrated commitment to remedying injustice
on behalf of vulnerable populations in general and to IPF’s core mission of finding
and freeing innocent people in Florida’s prisons.
Besides being afforded the opportunity to work in an exciting, dynamic and collegial
small-office environment, the Finance and Human Resources Manager will receive a
generous public interest salary commensurate with his or her level of experience; and a
generous vacation and sick time allowance.
HOW TO APPLY:
No later than March 13, 2020, please send a cover letter, resume, list of references and
salary requirements to Seth Miller, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org,
with “Finance and Human Resources Manager Position” in the Subject Line.
The Innocence Project Florida is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action employer, that strives
for diversity among its applicant pool as well as within its staff and board. We do not
discriminate in employment decisions based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual
orientation, national origin, citizenship, age or disability. We strongly encourage people from all
backgrounds, especially racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, people with disabilities, and smart
people with non-linear/non-traditional experience and educational backgrounds to apply for this
position. Most importantly, no matter their background, the person selected for this position must
embrace, advocate for, and deeply value equity, diversity, and inclusivity.