The Innocence Project of Florida, Inc. (IPF) is seeking candidates for a full-time Intake Assistant position beginning in February 2021 or earlier in its Tallahassee, Florida office. The Innocence Project of Florida is a 501(c)(3) non-profit legal defense organization dedicated to representing Florida prison inmates who can prove their innocence using DNA testing and other newly discovered evidence of actual innocence. IPF is the premier criminal justice organization in Florida and has helped release of numerous individuals who collectively spent hundreds of years in prison for crimes they did not commit.
As of March 2020, all of Innocence Project of Florida’s operations have moved online. The person who is hired for this position will be expected to visit IPF’s office in Tallahassee, FL at the beginning of training and sporadically thereafter while maintaining appropriate social distance and safety protocols. The Assistant’s day-to-day job will then be carried out remotely until otherwise indicated.
Essential Functions of Position:
The Intake Assistant will work under the direct supervision of the Intake Analyst as directed by the Intake Coordinator. The Assistant will be responsible for the clerical duties associated with IPF’s case-decision-making process. The Intake Assistant is expected to:
- Log, open, and review all incoming correspondence from inmates and their advocates seeking assistance;
- Prepare responses to incoming correspondence;
- Pack, post, and mail correspondence;
- Return phone calls directed to the Intake department
- Create and maintain digital and paper case files;
- Maintain and replenish office supplies;
- Assist the Intake Analyst in facilitating intern orientation, scheduling intern interviews, and prepping case files for students;
- Perform additional tasks or duties at the direction of the Intake Analyst as directed by the Intake Coordinator.
Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking a second language, specifically Spanish or Haitian Creole, is preferred. Prior experience in a non-profit and/or criminal justice setting is preferred. The ideal candidate must be:
- organized and maintain attention to detail;
- able to prioritize tasks by importance and timeliness;
- inquisitive and eager to learn and ask questions;
- comfortable reading and writing about violent crime and able to maintain personal coping mechanisms;
- able to maintain the strict confidentiality required of a law office setting.
Besides being afforded the opportunity to work in an exciting, dynamic and collegial small-office environment, the Intake Assistant will be compensated commensurate with their level of experience, including full health benefits, life insurance and a generous vacation and sick time allowance.
How to Apply:
No later than January 14, 2021, please send a cover letter, resume, and list of references to Adina Thompson at email@example.com. In the Subject Line, put “Intake Assistant Job Application”.
The Innocence Project Florida is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action employer, that strives for diversity among its applicant pool as well as within its staff and board. We do not discriminate in employment decisions based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age or disability. We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds, especially racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, people with disabilities, and smart people with non-linear/non-traditional experience and educational backgrounds to apply for this position. Most importantly, no matter their background, the person selected for this position must embrace, advocate for, and deeply value equity, diversity, and inclusivity.